Nothing gives you more confidence than a bright white flawless smile. Unfortunately, over time teeth tend to get discolored. There are many causes of tooth color change, but there is a solution. Teeth whitening, also called teeth bleaching, is a way to make your teeth white and bright again.
Why Do Teeth Discolor?
There are many reasons why your teeth stain or dull. Here are the most common reasons:
- Beverages: Drinks such as coffee, red wine, and tea have a tendency to stain your teeth.
- Tobacco: If you smoke or chew tobacco, you probably need teeth whitening.
- Aging: As you age your tooth’s enamel (outer layer) will thin. Beneath the enamel is a yellowish service called dentin.
- Damage: Injured teeth can discolor because more dentin gets produced as a response to the injury.
- Medicine: Certain medications are known to discolor teeth.
What is the Teeth Whitening Procedure?
The teeth whitening process is a very simple procedure. Your dentist will give you a hydrogen peroxide gel that is proven effective for teeth whitening. The hydrogen peroxide formula breaks down tooth stains, decreasing their appearance. The result is whiter and brighter teeth.
The teeth whitening procedure can be done in the office or at your home. Dr. McCauley will give you the gel and bleaching trays. You place the peroxide gel into the bleaching trays, then place the trays on your teeth. It can be done at night or during the day.
Is Everyone a Good Candidate?
Although most people are good candidates, there are types of stains that teeth whitening cannot fix. Yellow and brown teeth usually respond well to teeth whitening treatment. However, some gray stains may not respond well to this method. During a free consultation, Dr. McCauley will let you know the procedure that is best for you and will inform you about its expected results.
If you want whiter and brighter teeth, the first step is to schedule a free consultation with Dr. McCauley. He will inspect your teeth and evaluate your dental needs. Then he will be able to advise you if teeth whitening is right for you. At McCauley Dental our number one priority is your dental health. Call us today at 561-272-8555 to schedule your free consultation.